Here’s a recipe that will remind you of mom in every bite you take. This being the version using the pressure cooker, helps you quicken the cooking process while retaining the flavours and essence.
Maa Ki Dal
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Whistles: 4 high, 3 low
Soaking: 8 hours
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
25 mm. (1″) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
3 cardamom (elaichi)
2 green chillies , slit
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 1/2 cups grated tomatoes
1/2 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp kitchen king masala
3/4 cup whole urad (whole black lentil) , soaked and drained
2 tbsp rajma (kidney beans) , soaked and drained
salt to taste
1/2 cup fresh cream
3 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
- Heat the oil and butter in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, green chillies, onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomatoes and cook on a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil, while stirring continuously.
- Add the garam masala, kitchen king masala, urad, rajma, 2 cups of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook on high flame for 4 whistles.
- Lower the flame and pressure cook for another 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape naturally, before opening the lid.
- Add the cream and curds and mix well. Serve hot.
|80||4 gm||11 gm||2 gm|