You just returned from office, dead tired and with no strength to prepare dinner. You might be considering to order from a restaurant, but your hubby doesn’t like “bahar ka khana”. You sigh and drag your feet to the kitchen towards the refrigerator. You open it to find any veggies you could get to cook something. That’s when you remember you haven’t stocked your fridge yet. Damn! What do you do then?
Relax. Here’s an easy fix for times like these.
Surprise your hubby with a Rajasthani Special dish called the Dahi Papad Ki Sabzi. Don’t worry. This dish takes hardly 15 minutes to prepare. After a hard days work, you can still enjoy Indian homemade food, after all.
4 medium sized papads
1 tbsp yoghurt
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chopped coriander
1 cup water
- Break the papads into pieces such that each piece is around the size of 2 inches. Don’t break them into very small pieces, keep them medium sized.
- Take a mixing bowl, add the yoghurt, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a cooking pan, pour the ghee and heat on medium flame. Once ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, heeng and cumin seeds. Let seeds sputter.
- Now transfer the yoghurt mixture in the oil and stir continuously till oil separates from yoghurt.
- Next step is to add the papad pieces to this mixture with water. Avoid adding too much water as this dish is usually enjoyed best with a medium gravy.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, add salt and stir evenly.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with hot chapatis.