It’s Ganpati Utsav… and it’s time to enjoy all the special dishes prepared on this auspicious festival.
Here is a simple recipe on how to prepare the coconut rich karanjis at home.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ litre oil
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 3¼ cups sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- Chopped almonds
- 1/2 tsp elaichi powder
- 1 tbsp khuskhus
Preparing the dough:
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, ghee and salt. Knead this mixture to form a dough, adding water gradually. When the dough becomes firm, cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside.
Preparing the stuffing:
- Now for the stuffing, take a pan and cook together the coconut, sugar, chopped almonds, raisins and milk. Add elaichi powder and khuskhus. Stir till milk till it reduces to 1/3 of the original quantity.
- Making the Karanjis:
Divide the dough into small portions just like how you make rotis. Flatten each portion like a roti and add a spoonful of the stuffing in the middle of the flat dough and fold it in half.
- Roll a cutter around the stuffed flat dough and make a half cresent shaped border. Remove the extra dough. It is better to seal the open end of the karanji with a bit of milk.
- Prepare the rest of the karanjis in a similar fashion.
- When all the karanjis are stuffed, deep fry them till golden brown. Place them on a paper, and keep them aside to cool.