Qubani, in Urdu, means apricots. Qubani Ka Meetha is a dessert originating from Hyderabad and is a ‘must-try’ dish for all food-lovers, especially those who have a sweet tooth.
You don’t have to shell out on a fancy Hyderabadi restaurant to enjoy this delightful sweet dish. Here’s an easy recipe to cook it ‘home made’ style.
300 gms dried apricot
1 cup sugar
½ lit. milk
2 cups water
1 cup fresh cream
2 tbsp custard powder
- Soak the dried apricots in water for 10-12 hours. It’s best to soak them overnight.
- Drain the water and remove the pits. Extract the almonds from the apricots and keep them aside.
- In a cooking pan, add water and bring it to boil. Add the soaked apricots and 3 tbsp of sugar. Stir and cook till the water reduces to half of the initial quantity. Keep it to cool.
- Grind this apricot paste in a blender such that the mixture is not too thick nor too even. Tranfer mixture in a bowl dish. Crush the almonds extracted earlier and add them in mixture.
- In another cooking pan, boil the milk and add 2 tbsp of sugar. Quickly add 2 tbsp of custard powder and stir constantly to avoid lumps. Cook for a few minutes till the milk mixture becomes thick. Keep aside for cooling.
- In a separate dish, add a layer of custard and then a layer of apricot mixture. Top it off with fresh cream and sprinkle some almonds. Serve chilled.
Mouthwatering, isn’t it? Then try this out and tell us how it turned out!