If you or your kids are bored of having the same items for breakfast every day, bring a smile on their face by whipping up this different recipe. Pancakes are thin, flat and round cakes made of flour. They look something like Uthappams but are much thicker.
Pancakes can be served as dessert as well.
It’s very easy to prepare your own fluffy and home made pancakes from scratch!
1 cup maida (all-purpose flour)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp butter
1. In a mixing bowl, add the maida, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir the mixture evenly.
2. In another bowl, beat the egg , buttermilk and melted butter. (If you can’t lay your hands on buttermilk, not to worry! Take a cup and mix together curd and milk in the ratio of 2:1. This mixture is a great substitute for buttermilk).
3. Now, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients bowl and add the egg mixture. Stir immediately for 8-10 seconds. Make sure you don’t stir it too much because if the mixture is too even, it becomes difficult for the pancakes to settle while cooking. It is completely ok if you find some lumps in the mixture. Keep the batter aside for a few minutes to settle.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium flame. If you don’t have a non-stick, then sprinkle some oil in the pan. Using a deep curry serving spoon, pour a spoonful batter in the pan. Heat for 2 minutes. When small bubbles appear on the surface and when the bottom turns slightly brown, flip the pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Cook the rest of the batter in the same fashion.
Serve hot with butter and maple syrup. Honey is also a tasty option.
If you want to be experimental, you can add chopped slices of fruits like bananas, strawberry, dates, apples, etc. Not only are fruits healthy but they taste yummilicious!
If you want to serve it as a dessert, use chocolate chips. Works wonders.