Rajma chawal (kidney beans with rice) is a great combination. This is a complete meal in itself.
- 1 1/2 cup kidney beans (rajma)
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 green chili
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium chopped tomato for garnishing
- Wash and soak the kidney beans in about six cups of water for at least 6 hours (kidney beans will be double in volume after soaking).
- Cut the tomatoes in small pieces, green chili slice lengthwise and take out the seeds (if you prefer mild). Next blend tomatoes, green chili, and ginger and make a paste.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, black pepper, and paprika.
- Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until the oil is separating from the mixture.
- Add kidney beans, salt, and three cups of water close the cooker. Cook on medium high heat.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 12 minutes.
- Close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker.
- Kidney beans should be soft and tender. Lightly mash the kidney beans while mixing. Adjust salt, and pepper to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes and coriander.
Do let us know if you liked the recipe.