Dal Tadka aka Tadka Dal or Dal Tarka is a healthy, hearty, beautifully textured, smoky flavored Indian dal dish that is revered by many a Dhaba food connoisseur. The aroma that emanates the home while preparing the tadka for the dal dish is something one needs to experience as I cannot explain in words the sizzle and mingle of Indian spices in hot oil or desi ghee. Truly intoxicating.
1/2 cup Moong Dal
1 cup Water
2 Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Onion (chopped)
Coriander leaves to garnish
1 Ginger Flake (chopped)
4 Green Chillies (chopped)
1 tbsp Jeera
3 tbsp Ghee
Salt to taste
How to make Dal Tadka:
- Wash dal properly and pressure cook it in water.
- Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out.
- Remove the cooker from the flame after 2 whistles.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and add jeera.
- Fry it for a minute on medium heat.
- Mix green chillies and ginger. Fry again for about 2 minutes.
- Add onions now and fry them till they turn light brown.
- Now add tomatoes and fry for about 10 minutes.
- Put salt and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and fry for a minute.
- Mix the prepared gravy into cooked dal.
- Put it in pressure cooker and cook again for 1 whistle.
- Moong dal is ready.
- Serve with chapatis or plain rice.